1. Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) will provide each student and associate an email account (MyMail) for use in the course of their studies or employment with SUSS. Students and Associates can correspond and interact with SUSS faculties and staff, lecturers and tutors, fellow coursemates, and their friends via the MyMail account.
2. With the provision of MyMail to all students, SUSS will only correspond with and accept correspondences from students via students’ MyMail accounts.
3. Exception is made to paragraph (2) stated above for Students or Associates who request for reset of MyMail password. Request of password resetting may be made via Students’ or Associates’ personal email account.
4. The IT facilities provided to User Account holders by SUSS shall include hardware, software and computing domains under the control of SUSS, including the provision of computing facilities via the campus network (Network). The Network includes wired network connection, wireless network connection and remote connection to access its computing facilities.
5. Any act prohibited by the rules will be construed as grounds for the suspension or termination of the User Account. Such action shall not exclude any action taken by SUSS to refer the matter to the proper authorities for disciplinary action or for the prosecution of any breaches of the laws of Singapore.
6. The following activities are PROHIBITED on the SUSS facilities:
6.1 The IT Facilities may not be used for anything that may be considered as illegal or used to encourage any act that will be an offence under the laws of Singapore. The laws of Singapore include without limitation the Films Act, Computer Misuse Act, Penal Code, Copyright Act, Undesirable Publications Act, Singapore Broadcasting Authority Act, Indecent Advertisement Act, Public Entertainment Act, Common Gaming Houses Act, Maintenance of Religious Harmony Act and Official Secrets Act.
6.1 Accessing, storage or downloading from any source or displaying, creating or transmitting in any form and language, of any obscene, distasteful, vulgar or sexually suggestive electronic pictures or graphics prohibited by the laws of Singapore.
6.3 Any use of obscene, distasteful, vulgar or sexually suggestive or discriminatory language.
6.4 Permitting other persons to use the User Account or the computing facilities, whether that other person is a registered or unregistered User.
6.5 Unauthorised access, copying, destroying or deleting and altering or amending of data or software programs.
6.6 The introduction of ‘virus’ or ‘trojan’ or any software program designed to alter any data or software in the computing facilities.
6.7 The illegal usage of the computer facilities or its network without the written permission from SUSS.
6.8 Copying, storage, transmission and use of unlicensed copyrighted software or materials.
6.9 The transmission, display or broadcasting of electronic messages or the use of the computer facilities in any manner:
(a) To denigrate, satirise, degrade or defame any person, family, organization, nation, race or religious group;
(b) To affect or prevent any registered Users’ use of the computer facilities;
(c) For commercial (as in carrying on a business), political or religious purposes, without obtaining prior written permission from SUSS.
(d) For or on behalf of any person, party, organization or principal without obtaining written authorisation from the person, party, organization or principal AND the written permission from SUSS.
7. The User shall be personally liable for the maintenance of the User Account and computer to prevent the occurrence of any of the above-mentioned events.
8. The receipt of any transmission or electronic message of a kind that is prohibited must be reported immediately to SUSS. Any failure to do so may result in the recipient being construed as a party to the prohibited act and may suffer the sanctions mentioned in paragraph 5 above.
9. Users who connect their computers to the Network shall ensure that:
(a) The computer including network adaptors works with the network
(b) The computer is configured to use TCP/IP protocol only and IP address automatically assigned by SUSS
(c) The computer is protected with up-to-date anti-virus software. In additional, the user must also apply the latest software security patches and service packs to their computers to prevent network intrusions or attacks exploiting the weaknesses of the computers.
10. Users who connect their computers to the Network shall not configure the computer to perform abusive activities towards other computers within SUSS or outside SUSS. Such abusive activities may include but not limited to, performing port scan on other computers, sending SPAM mails to other internet users, depositing or connecting to Trojan horse type of software on other computers.
11. SUSS may, in its own discretion, perform background scan of the Network for viruses, intrusion attacks and system vulnerabilities. SUSS may also inspect the files on computers connected to the Network for evidence of violation of the laws of Singapore.
12. If any student or associate is found to violate or breach any of the above-stated, SUSS reserves the rights to review, suspend or terminate any account at all times, without prior notice to the affected parties.
13. The network account password must be at least 8 characters long. The password expires every 180 days since last password change. Once the password has expired, a new password has to be selected.
20 March 2017